Are You Always Too Tired At Home? Mold Exposure May Be The Reason.
Are you tired all the time? If so, you’re not alone — especially not today. Surveys from early 2022 point to around 60 percent of American adults constantly feeling tired, particularly at home. Hectic work schedules, excess screen time, sleep deprivation, and stress contribute to this trend. And, we can add one more common cause: Mold exposure.
You probably already know that being around a lot of mold can make you sick. After all, it’s why we worry about it growing in our homes. But, do you know what health problems mold can cause — or how varied or subtle they can be?
It’s more than just “feeling sick,” although that’s a start.
Everything from skin rashes to asthma attacks to even vertigo or depression can stem from too much mold around you. But then again, plenty of other factors can trigger those symptoms.
So, microbial contamination, like breathing in spores at home, usually isn’t the first thing you or your doctor consider when diagnosing these medical issues.
Before we go any further, we need to stress: We’re not doctors! But, our service plays a vital role in removing mold from people’s homes. As a result, we’ve learned to recognize the signs of mold problems in a house or business and the physical symptoms that stem from exposure.
HydroKleen208 specializes in mini split and heat pump cleaning in Boise Metro and Valley County in Idaho. And these systems are notorious for breeding mold that circulates in the air you breathe.
If you’re experiencing signs of fatigue or other health concerns, please consult your general practitioner right away. After that, it’s worth checking your home for signs of a mold problem. Finding and fixing that can be the key to feeling better and healthier.
This article will explore the relationship between mold exposure and feeling tired. Then, we’ll touch on how to identify and address a mold problem in your home. And, if you use a mini split or other heat pump system in your home, you’ll especially want to read till the end.
Meanwhile, you can always call us with any questions or concerns about the indoor air quality in your Treasure Valley home or business. We’re here at (208) 779-5596.
Can Mold In Your House Make You Tired?
More than three decades of research show that mold exposure, particularly at home, can cause people to feel tired or develop chronic fatigue. It’s due to mycotoxins, which are toxins produced by mold, decreasing oxygenation in the body, among other reactions that cause people to feel tired.
More Signs Of Mold Exposure
Fatigue isn’t the only symptom of mycotoxin exposure. People may also feel sick, develop rashes, start wheezing, or otherwise have difficulty breathing. These issues are even more pronounced for people with mold allergies.
Related: Can Black Mold Cause Vertigo?
Even more severe reactions can include “brain fog” or trouble concentrating, immune deficiencies, and other serious health issues that can become chronic.
However, part of the problem with identifying these is that they mimic many other issues. For instance, many of those minor symptoms can look like seasonal allergies or a reaction to different fabrics or laundry detergents.
And neurological issues can stem from a wide variety of causes. That’s why it’s also essential to look for other signs of mold in your home and address any you find.
Three Common Signs Of Mold In Your Home
Along with physical symptoms, the most common signs that your home has a mold problem are:
- Persistent Musty Or Mildew Smell
- Finding Spots On Furniture, Walls, Or Clothing
- Walls Are Warped
Related: What Is The Best Temperature To Prevent Mold In My Home?
Persistent Musty Or Mildew Smell
Musty smells are a sign you have standing water or excess moisture somewhere. That means mold isn’t far behind if it’s not already growing. A mildew smell, more specifically, is a sign of fungus and organic growth.
Finding Spots On Furniture, Walls, Or Clothing
Collections of mold spores often take the form of round, colored spots and splotches on many surfaces in the house. Smaller ones may be flat, or they grow to become sticky or fuzzy.
Walls Are Warped
Bulging walls, bubbling or peeling wallpaper, or other damage is often a sign of mold growing where you can’t see it. And, even if that’s not the problem, it may be soon: Those are usually signs of water damage, possibly from a plumbing problem.
Common Mold Problems With Mini Splits
You are very likely to have a mold problem in your home if you’ve had a ductless mini split system for more than a year. It turns out that the air handlers become infested with mold very quickly, and they’re hard to clean. As a result, your heating and cooling system constantly spreads spores through the air it circulates.
Related: What You Need To Know About Microbial Contamination In Mini Splits.
For example, here’s a photo of the coil inside an air handler. We cleaned one side and left the other half dirty so the homeowner could see the difference: